Saturday, September 15, 2007

Ants, Humidity and a day ago


Sadly, my travels for now have come to an end. Once again I am back in Samoa (arrived on a Friday even tho I left on a Saturday). When we stepped off of the plane it was a lot more humid than I remembered it being when I left... Sally and I parted ways sadly; you spend so much time with someone for 2 weeks its hard to let go. :)

I made my way back to the Peace Corps hostel and started to get ready for bed. The ants part comes in here. In my carry on I had some candy I bought in the terminal that I hadn't finished. I put my bag down in the room and left to brush my teeth. I swear I wasn't gone for 2 minutes and my bag had a trail from the corner of my room to the bag with the candy. I swear those ants must have had signs up pointing to the sugary goodness because there were millions of them trying to get a taste. So different New Zealand and Samoa. I threw out the rest of the candy and quickly covered or put away anything else they might find out in the night... those sneaky pests.

So, now I am back, though not on my island yet. I am heading back on Monday. School started a week ago for me (tho this Monday for everyone else). Right back into the swing of things. It's really winding down now for me though. My students are wrapping up their projects and then it's just getting ready for tests. Someone pointed out recently that I only have 2 1/2 months left... is that it? Guess I better live it up...

Below are a few more pictures from the trip that I didn't get around to posting before.
Mountains
A fun restaurant we had pizza at in Motueka. Notice the Samoan prints above the arched window.
Our favorite pit stop. It was the writing on the bathroom door that made us smile so.
Another Pancake Rocks shot.

Ice on the glacier.
Purple hues on the glacier.
Mt Cook behind a nice setting.

Um... Another mountain? Yeah. I think that's right.
Me at the top of one of the passes... yeah snow!

A paraglider over the Remarkables in Queenstown. One of the many things that town is famous for.

On one of the beautiful roads in New Zealands South Island

Yet another shot of the amazing Milford Sound

Mountains, clouds and a waterfall

Sally lounging in the sun on the top of Keys Summit

The color of this lake astounds me. Brillian blue like the color of Glacier Ice Koolaide.

Mt Cook.

The road to Mount Cook.
Christchurch.
And Finally, a picture from the North Island:
Craters of the Moon Geothermal Area just outside of Lake Taupo.

4 Comments:

At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! I posted some from our Washington coast vacation:

http://gallery.mac.com/danielwilson#100007

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just studied the sign posted at the top of your latest entry -- what a hoot! When we were in Guatemala, we learned that it was the other way around -- they have small wastebaskets stationed adjacent to each toilet -- that's where the used paper is to be deposited! Obviously, New Zealanders have too many tourists from areas with backward plumbing.

 
At 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julya,
Hi! Aunt Susan and I are at the SW Branch of the library; since I don't have a pc at home, Susan suggested that we come here so I could catch up on your travels, and Elizabeth's! Your pictures, and the account of your trip are fabulous. You want to go back to New Zealand, and I'm entering my bid to go with you! Looking forward to seeing you at Christmas -- and also see all those photos. Love you so much!
Bye now, Grandpa

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Grace for us all... said...

Loved the pics! I know that you are living it up there, but I CAN'T WAIT to have you come back!
G

 

Post a Comment

<< Home