Saturday, June 16, 2007

Bryan's Gone, I have malaria, and other news

Yeah, you all read that right. Apparently I brought something back with me from Vanuatu other than kava and handicrafts. I brought malaria back with me. I was on anti-malaria meds too. Rest assured I cannot pass it to others here in Samoa. It is passed only through a specific mosquito that we do not have in this country. It comes and goes in waves. One day I feel 100% and then the next day I am miserable. It's not as bad as dengue, and I am on the medicine to get rid of it now, so overall I am doing a lot better.

Bryan left less than a week ago. I will try and post pictures later this week. It was a blast having him visiting. He really got along with all my PC friends and got to experience life as a PC. Not sure if he was really liking it after the hour long bus ride from Satuiatua smashed between two very large people while I tried to sit on his lap, but his knee started hurting... But he enjoyed hanging out with my friends and sharing stories.

I think one of the funnest things I did with him was going to the sliding rocks. There is a place with a ton of waterfalls with huge pools at the end, natural water slides. It had been raining fairly hard earlier in the week, and since it was in the middle of the day, we had the place to ourselves. I only slid down the smaller ones, but I got a lot of great pictures of the falls and Bryan sliding over a few of them.

School has started back up again in full swing. Because of the malaria however, I will be missing a few days. The biggest news at school is that I will be getting a new lab. The church donated money to our school to build new computer and science labs. The project will start around the end of November... so while i get ready to leave.

Alright. I think that was all the energy I can muster for now. Promise to post pictures from Bryan's visit soon. Until then.

3 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you have malaria. I have to agree with your fellow PC that you are a walking petri dish. This months issue of National Geographic has a great cover story on malarie which I will get in the mail to you this week. Good thing you hadn't come down with it when Bryan was there. Now take care of yourself!!

Love, Dad

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Grace for us all... said...

Julya,

Your parents came to my pinning and told me that you had malaria. I couldn't believe it! You've had a rough go of it lately.

I miss you. I'm DONE!
G

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Anon said...

There should be a prize for contracting the one tropical disease that Samoa doesn't even have.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home