Thursday, May 17, 2007

Malietoa Died

Malietoa is our Head of State. He has held this position since before we became an independent nation in 1962. He died last Friday at 92 years old (or around that).

It was a big deal. Samoan news is saying Darkest Day in Samoan history. Today and tomorrow is a nation holiday so EVERYTHING is closed, those of us who are in are trying not to starve to death. :) Also today, there was a procession with his casket down the main street of Apia, and tomorrow will be the actual funeral.

For some reason it's not letting me post pics of the procession, so I will try and post those a little later.

I will also post an update about my parents visit a little later this week complete with pictures. Also, I am getting ready to head to Vanuatu for a week during our school break.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home