Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Silao's Party and Weekend

This weekend we had a going away party for one of the PC staff members, Silao. He was our head trainer. He was a great trainer. He helped me threw a few of my harder moments. He is retiring. It was a potluck and we each had to bring a meal to the party. Since I live on the other island anything I made at home wouldn’t have kept. I met up with Cecilia and Holly and I helped Cecilia cook and prepare a few dishes. Stuffed green peppers, things like that. It was fun. We all contributed a little bit of money and bought him a set of nice new golf clubs, even a few Returned Peace Corps Volunteers from Samoa contributed their support. He likes to golf and was even going the next day. We had a karaoke machine and he sang a couple songs. Every group got up to say something nice about him and what we would miss. There was a ton of food. It was overall a good time.

The whole weekend was fun. Bob and I came in on Thursday, barely missing the 2pm boat. The way the boats ride there is a 2 and a 4 from Savai’i, but there are no boats waiting when the 4pm arrives on the other side. So, if we missed the 2, we would be okay. Well, school ended at 1pm. We missed the last bus going out and our school bus wouldn’t get us there in time. A few other teachers called a taxi for us, but it wouldn’t show up in time. We convinced one of our teachers who was heading into Salelologa to shop to take us there. We had so little time; no one thought we would make it. But that teacher hauled man. We showed up with 2 or 3 minutes until it was supposed to leave. And we made it. Bob headed into Apia for the night and I was tired and headed to Holly’s house.

Friday I had to head into Apia for all the errands I had to run for the weekend. I had to buy a few things for my computer for the school, get some food I can’t buy on my island, and eat at a restaurant! I even went and saw Walk the Line in the one theater in Samoa. It was great. I felt so spoiled. I went out to a Chinese restaurant and hung out with a few volunteers the rest of the evening.

The next day I headed into town again to help Cecilia buy all the rest of the food needed for the party that night. After cooking we got all dolled up for the evening. I borrowed a dress that was Cecilia’s, I put on makeup, and I wore my hair down. :) It was fun to do a few things I can’t always do at my place.

School is going well. My students took a practice test today. Most of them have a big test next week and I want to see where they need help, what they are picking up on. I like aspects of teaching. Some days I really just don’t want to write my lesson plans, but I love the kids. They are always keeping me on my toes. I am still struggling with teaching in Samoan in a few of my classes, but I am practicing and it will come with time.

So, not much to report. The weekend was fun, but busy. Next weekend is Career Day on Savai'i. The PC NGO Avanoa Tutusa puts it on. I wanted to be involved in it, until I learned they meet on weekdays so it just isn’t possible. But I will be there this weekend with my students. I am looking forward to it. I want my students to see that they can do more than just be a secretary with all the computer skills they will have. The only problem is that the same weekend is our schools final games in a rugby tournament. Most of the island will be involved with that and it’s during the day on Friday. So, few students will actually get to go to the Career Day. They love rugby here. I am starting to learn a little bit about it. Not bad. We have a pretty good team here and they practice hard. They get up at 5:30am every morning and practice as well as everyday after school. And some of the students live a ways away.

Until next time when things are a little more exciting.

3 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having a great time. I know I used to love going out and seeing American movies in India - it's a little bit of home (or something somewhat like it). I think splurging sometimes is what keeps us all normal :-)

 
At 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julya, Don't fall over, it's me, Carin. I haven't been sure how to write you so I hope this is correct. If you actually have an e-mail address I should be using let me know. Mine is carinbrucep2@netzero.net It is wonderful to be able to see how you are doing and the great pics on your blogger. Much has happened here. Next month Dan and I are being paid for to go and visit Nate Scholz and his family in Tyre, Lebanon. Wow, so next we want to have someone give us funds to see you, I'll have to pray about that one. Leanne is engaged to be married to Tyler Winters, who is so hungry to know more about God and to get his doctrine straightened from his Jehovahs Witness background, he is asking alot and reading everything he can get his hands on. My grandmother passed away in Jan. Life is full. Love you and miss your face, May God bless you in ways you can't emagine. Carin

 
At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI!!! my name is kiki and i went to school at USP... silao was my teacher too!!! he taught me langauge. He's great... I dont know if you know jackie (faasilia) but she's my teacher too... anyway i've been reading your blog and it makes me miss Samoa so much, but i met holly and cecilia and mark and maka and some other kids when I was there... good times :) anyway hope you're doing well in Samoa!!! (i lived in Alafua..)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home