Saturday, January 21, 2006

Snowball fights and dances

So I finally made it back home. I swear when I head into Apia for "A few days" it turns out to be a good long week. In my defense a dignitary from DC came into Samoa for a few days (read Marques' website for details on why) and my group (75) was invited to dance a few of our dances from the fiafia that we put on for the village at the end of our training. All of the girls from my group were going to do it, and so I decided to stay. Then I had every intention of returning on Friday. But since it is still the stormy season, and because certain volunteers thought it would be their job to distract me, I ended up staying another night.

But it was a fun night. I wanted to share one aspect of my evening last night. I have been staying at Holly's house these last few nights and her freezer has a few issues. It is never fully closed on the fridge part and never opens on the freezer part, so the freezer had stalagmites and the other ones going on pretty hard core inside. I decided to help her clean it out. As I was scraping off all of the frost I was playing with it and smashed one up into a snowball and showed Holly. We then decided that it would be a good idea to have a snowball fight. Another volunteer, Pete, was over and Holly, Pete and I ran outside with a few snowballs in hand. We saved a couple for the little girl that lives in the house behind Holly's and taught her what snowballs were and began a small snowball fight in the middle of the 85 degree weather in Samoa. It made the 3 of us feel a little bit like being back home.

School starts soon. I am looking forward to a nice change in things. Until I have more time to write...

2 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - you have been writing a lot lately! Sounds like you're having a lot of fun.
Just wanted to let you know that I'm going back to Seattle in early Feb - I think my flight home will be on the 5th, but it isn't arranged yet. I'm gonna miss really India, but I have lots of very good reasons for going - and maybe I can come back sometime in the future :-)
So... this means that I can read your blog more often and write you regular emails and stuff :-)

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cleaning one minute, snowball fight the next...sounds like you are making the best out of your situations. :) Have fun at school Teacher Julya!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home