Monday, January 09, 2006

Heading Home

So, after a good long while of just hanging out, I think it's time to head home. Other than the centepede encounter (I had another one last night), things were pretty much low key around here. Holly and I headed to Marques' house to help him with his cooking skills. It was fun getting to see where other volunteers in my group live and to see their labs. He has a nice setup in his lab as well. One thing we were joking about when we finish the Peace Corps is that we can put Head of Computers Department on our resumes, because we are the only computer teachers at the school. Marques has a nice view of the city from his place. We had fun making coke floats and eating some good cooked food if I do say so myself. :) Holly and I fried breaded chicken still on the bone for the first time. It turned out great. We had to show him that even if you haven't ever cooked it before, it can still be great.

Holly and I pretty much spent the next 2 days at her house. You would be suprised how much money you can spend when you head into Apia for the day, especially since she lives a good distance away from the town itself. I felt a little spoiled there these last few days because she has a tv at her place and gets ESPN on her tv. Most tv's just get one channel. It's not bad, and has movies at night, but it's always a treat to watch some sports. Feels a little like being home. We just got into a nice routine of hanging out, chatting, doing laundry and cooking. It will be sad to leave a little. We really get along well and I guess we are pretty comical while cooking together -- according to a few volunteers that stopped by that day.

But, it will be nice getting back to Savai'i and doing a little bit of getting ready for the school year. (I say that, but the odds of me actually doing it are pretty slim). :) Because I cannot get a few things on Savai'i that I can in Apia, my bag is also maxed out. I couldn't fit anything else in there if I tried. I expect to do a lot of baking and biking these next few weeks before school starts up. I might make it back into Apia once or twice more. Some other PCV's are involved in an NGO named Avanoa Tutusa, in which I would also like to get involved in. They are hosting a big Career fair for Savai'i and Upolu coming up that I would love to be apart of. We'll see how easy it will be to continue being involved once school starts back up again because meetings are in Apia and I will have a regular work schedule soon.

Oh, I have also been informed that the original Aggie is dead. So who knows who Holly and I met earlier. Maybe the lady that currently owns the hotel. Or maybe the real Aggie back from the dead. Either way, we still have a standing for a free meal at the hotel anytime we wish. Save it up for a day I am dying for a good meal. :)

2 Comments:

At 12:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys cooking any fish at all? After reading this blog, I remember the night we made the fish and how proud we were of ourselves for doing so!
Miss you,
Mary

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Julya said...

I haven't ventured to the fresh fish market yet. But that is something I will hopefully learn to do well by the time I return! I miss our cooking experiences... though I am definatly getting them here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home