Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Savai'i

Hey Everyone, I thought an update was in order. I am sure some of you have read how the other PCV's in my group are doing. I think my experiences will be drastically different from theirs from here on out. Like I mentioned before, I am living out in kua. Which means nowhere. There are not some of the things that are in Apia. It won't be a better or a worse experience, just different. For the parents in our group, especially Josh and Bob's, I will try and keep you all up to date on what it is like to live out there. :)

We moved out on Thursday. I am lucky that i live next to someone else and so close (a 10 minute bike ride away) to 2 more volunteers. Laura (La La) and Josh like in another town and Bob and I live in the same house split into 2. I will be getting used to no phone. We don't have a phone, the house used to have one, but they removed the cable before we move in. We might get one, but it takes AWHILE to get phone lines hooked up out there. There isn't internet, (about a 30 minute bus ride away to a dial up connection), no tv's, no restraunts near anywhere.... It's just a different kind of living that I will have to get used to. I can see myself reading a lot. I will have to start liking to cook. I am a good cook, I just don't enjoy doing it as much. I will. I am going to start a garden at the side of my house. Get some composting going, plant some good greens. There are a lack of greens here. For Christmas, the 4 of us are staying out here. We are going to have a chilli cook-off. :) Guys against girls. It will be a good competition. Bob won a chilli cook off in the states, and La La is a good cook and I have a great knack for spices and flavouring... Play some games, watch a movie on someone's labtop. I think it will be one of my favorite Christmas's.

My updates will be fewer. It is hard to get out and update. The computer is slow, dial up and it takes awhile. And my camera is shot. The humidity is finally getting to all of my things. I cannot view any pictures because the screen was broken awhile ago when it was dropped and now the usb cable isn't being recognized. I will have to upload some pictures from someone elses computer around New Years. Sorry, and someday I will get the jump drive in the mail that will make things easier.

I hope you are all well this holiday season. I will try and stay in touch via email too, but it will be slow and sporadic. Feel free to write me letters. I will definatly respond to them, and writing letters will give me something to do. It will be intersting finding new hobbies to keep me busy... :)

Merry Christmas! Happy New Years!

3 Comments:

At 4:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a great Christmas Julya! And good luck with the chili cookoff!
-Brian H.

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julya -- Christmas Greetings to you, La La, Josh, and my son Bob! I read your blog with avid interest, trying to get a sense of how all is going. Just a warning -- Bob makes some hot chili! Stay healthy and happy, Mary Donahue

 
At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Julya!! I can't wait to read your next installment!
Brandon S.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home