Monday, December 26, 2005

Manuia le Kirisimasi!

Merry Christmas!
I hope this finds everyone well after the holiday. I had a great holiday. Christmas Eve Bob and I hung out with the Japanese Volunteer, Moto, who lives on the compound with us, eating dinner and laughing at Bob while he washed his laundry using a big bucket and a hammer to stir it in. Good thing too because that water was pretty nasty when he was done. As you can see, I have included a few pictures. Some are of Christmas Eve and the rest are just pictures taken throughout training that I thought were nice pictures. Later Christmas Eve Bob and I ended up watching a movie Moto left us. It was a Japanese Animated movie, Spirited Away. Not bad actually, I liked it.

Christmas Day Bob and I headed over to Josh and La La’s place where we talked with our parents on the phone they have, we are still without a phone. It was nice; I got to chat with a lot of my extended family. It was comforting to know that everyone is still doing the same old thing. It was hard talking to everyone for such a short period of time, I wish we could have chatted a lot longer. Then after that, the 4 of us headed back to my place and we started the chili cook off. I think we were all bias about our chili. Bob and Josh would say theirs was great and that they won and that ours wasn’t chili-esque. La La and I think that ours was the best, different flavors and different ingredients (plus it was the first time the 2 of us had made chili). So there you go. We watched Ghost Busters… Who could ask for a better Christmas? J If I couldn’t be with family, these volunteers are the next closest thing to it. The 4 of us, will be living near each other for the next 2 years (one with La La).

This week I am looking forward to exploring the area a little bit better. I am going on a hike with La La around the water front. Holly is coming out to visit and explore. Then it’s New Years and I’m off to spend that with other volunteers.

I know my last entry didn’t sound too promising, but rest assured I am doing well. It is taking awhile adjusting to the slower pace out here, but I am starting to like it. Sitting around reading, I am really starting to like baking and cooking. I made fudge (which didn’t set well), pineapple jam, peanut butter scones… I’m turning girly. That’s what this country is doing to me. J Cooking, wearing skirts, sewing, who would have guessed. The pace is growing on me. Very laid back. And the people are so hospitable. They take you in as family after just meeting you. I think I will fair well. I don’t start teaching until the end of January, so I have no idea what it will be like yet. I am looking forward to living out here, becoming a part of my village, getting to know the other teachers, and the other volunteers who live out here on this island that I don’t know well yet.
Until next time. –Tala

7 Comments:

At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julya

I havn't laughed as long or hard in a long time as I did when I read your girly comment. I thought I'd raised you better.

It was nice talking to you yesterday. We all missed you. It sounds like you had a pretty good day after you got through with us. Keep your chin up and look forward to the good things that will be happening to you.

Dad

 
At 2:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with your dad. I loved the "turning girly" comment! A clear answer to all of our prayers for Julya! :) I guess at this rate, by the time you get home the only movies you'll want to watch are "Sleepless in Seattle" and such. I'll be sure to have a copy of "You've got Mail" on hold for you when you get back!
Seriously though, I'm glad you're adjusting to the enviroment Julya. Like your dad said, keep your chin up. Good things will certainly come.

 
At 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you had a good holiday. I did too - my roommate and I cooked all day, and a friend came over for dinner. We opened presents and had a relaxing time at home, and then we went over to another friend's house for a party later in the evening. I missed being at home, but I think it was the best Christmas I've had away.

It's nice to read how things are going for you... I third the above comments :-)
Happy Holidays!

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Eric, Dani & Thomas said...

Julya,
It was so depressing. I was the only person from the class of '97 at th Alumni Game this year. You were truely missed. It has been a long time since I checked your blog. So much has happened for you.

Congrats!
I hope you have a Happy New Year.

Dani

 
At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julya
Your cat has figured out that you are not coming back soon. She has been bugging me during the night. She keeps batting my hair and sitting on my leg until it goes numb. You spoiled her rotten. Will have to retrain her on how to sleep at night. You will notice that I added a comment to your blog, but again I added it to the second section, right after the pictures. Both your dad and I had the same idea, and we both sent you letters on Wednesday. Let us know whos got there first. And how long it took. It will be interesting to know how long it takes from one island to another.
Love you lots
Mom

 
At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julya
Your cat has figured out that you are not coming back soon. She has been bugging me during the night. She keeps batting my hair and sitting on my leg until it goes numb. You spoiled her rotten. Will have to retrain her on how to sleep at night. You will notice that I added a comment to your blog, but again I added it to the second section, right after the pictures. Both your dad and I had the same idea, and we both sent you letters on Wednesday. Let us know whos got there first. And how long it took. It will be interesting to know how long it takes from one island to another.
Love you lots
Mom

 
At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to see a picture of you in a pink skirt cooking! That one would get framed :)

I'm so glad to hear you are doing well. Have a great New Years!!!
Now no getting New Years kisses from strange guys! :)

Love ya!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home