Tuesday, December 13, 2005

A few pictures























The top photo is of Josh and I killing chickens on the cooking day. We did everything from scratch from killing, cleaning, building the umu to cook it in and cooking it.

The next picture is of the volunteer I will be replacing. Old and new. He's a good guy, too bad he's leaving. But, then if he stayed, I wouldn't have a job... :)

The next picture is the sunrise the day we all went palolo hunting. Beautiful. Islands in the background.

Next picture is of Josh on Thanksgiving day eating a turkey leg. It was nice to eat a lot of food and feel at least a little part of the Thanksgiving traditions.

Next picture is of some in my aiga Samoa (samoan family). Left is Tavita, my 15 year old brother, then my dad Siuleo, then me, then my mom Talasanga, then my 11 year old brother Jason.

Next is of Tavita coming back from our plantation with banana (fa'i) and coconut (popo).

And last picture is of the pig prepared on the cooking day. They cut out it's vocal chords. Cut a whole in the stomach and carefully pulled out the guts, and cut a hole in the butt to drain out all the blood. Then they stuffed it with hot rocks, why the throat is steaming. Then covered the holes with mango leaves, and stuffed a few mango leaves in the pig, then put the pig on the umu. The stuffing part helped the inside of the pig cook as fast as the outside.

I swear in tomorrow morning. I am excited. My principal of my school will be there, my aiga samoa, all the other volunteers... It will be great to finally be sworn in. Then we celebrate and move into our sites the next day. We get our bikes tomorrow. I can't wait to ride it around the island. I have to watch out for dogs though. Maybe keep a stick or pepper spray with me to ward them off.

Hope this finds everyone well during the holidays. I might say some tomorrow after swear in, but I can't promise. Manuia le kirisimasi. (Merry Christmas)

3 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great to hear things are going so well. I love the picture of the pig - wow! I think I'm thankful that I'm in India and maids and cooks are normal here (but I suppose it helps keep more people employed in a place where there are so many people who need jobs :-). Happy Holidays, Cous!

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Julya said...

Hey cous! Email me your mailing address there!

Julya

 
At 2:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julya,

I sure missed you at Thanksgiving. Mom did not let me make my Chocolate Covered Wild Turkey Pecan Pie, she felt it was too rich for the feast, otherwise I would have sent you a piece.

Huge KUDOS and congrats on making it to PCV status, I had no doubt you could do it. I am very proud of you and your goals.

I hope you still check your Hotmail account since I would prefer to write you directly in a less public forum.

It is great that you are posting lots of pics and stuff so I can see how things are going. I often wondered how they smoked pigs.

We will miss you over the holidays and keep you in our prayers.

{;-}#

 

Post a Comment

<< Home