Saturday, November 19, 2005

Off to Falevao for the last time





So the top picture is of my sister Folole (she's 21). She's holding her son David Junior Bryan. And my brother Johnny (age 2) is also in the picture.

2nd picture is on the way to Nu'u Lopa. One of the islands I visited on my volunteer visit. It's only accessible by fishing boat if you know that person.

3rd one is of the harbor on the island Apolima. Which I was very lucky to visit, few PCV's get there.

4th one if of my in a Sunday Puletasi on the island Manono. Bob (who I will be working with) is in the back.

5th one is from left to right: My cousin Herene, my brother Gaolo, my brother Marloki, my little brother Johhny, and my cousin Atesa.

Hey everyone,
So we leave for the village today. Heading back for the last 3 week stint. I think it will be hard. 3 weeks is a long time to be living there in Falevao with the family, but we have each other and it will speed by… I am hoping.

Yesterday we had the all Volunteer Conference. It was fun. We, the trainees were there and the volunteers leaving in a few weeks were there as well. It was nice to get to know some of the other volunteers a little bit better. Not that I don’t love my fellow trainees, because I do and we are a great group and really supportive and funny, but in training we do see each other 24/7 and so it is nice to talk with other people as well.

Today we are having our Thanksgiving lunch with the rest of the volunteers because the actual day of Thanksgiving we will be in the village. That’s the day we put together an umu (over thing they make) for our village. I don’t really know what that entails because I have never made one before, but I will let you all know when I get back. Also, I think this is cool, one of the days this week, I forget which, we are going to catch the palolo. It’s a reef worm that comes out of the coral twice a year, once after the full moon in October and then again after the full moon in November. Last time we were in the village and had just arrived. This time we are going to try and be apart of the catching of the palolo. It’s like a delicacy here. And you go out at midnight and wait until low tide and something else and then it’s supposed to rise and you catch it in nets that look like snow shoes. And the worms are really bright colors. Like bright blue. Should be fun. We also have our language proficiency test while we are in the village too. So I should come back fluent… Just kidding.

So I will be without email or phone access for 3 weeks. We should be back early mid December. I am not sure of the exact date we get back, but check out some of the other websites. I know they have it…

Until I am almost a full fledged volunteer…

Julya

3 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julya-the-wormer-hunter :)

 
At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So does the bright blue worm leave your lips and mouth blue when you eat it?

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Julya said...

Nah. It leaves your teeth blue. It tastes nasty though... :) Like salt water

 

Post a Comment

<< Home