Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Back from Apolima, Manono, and Nu'u Lopa

So, I just got back from my volunteer visit. I stayed with Karen, a current volunteer. She was a lot of fun to hang out with. Her district includes all of the minor islands in Samoa: Manono, Apolima, and Nu'u Lopa (the last once in the uninhabited one). I had a blast. And I know I am lucky because very few voluntees get to visit these islands in the hole 2 years they are here.

The last week in the village was not too bad. I am starting to fit into the grove of my family and am starting to get used to how they operate day to day. My language is getting better. I can't pretend that I don't understand them anymore. They know I do. When I went to visit these islands the last few days, in Apolima no one spoke English (most people here do), and I learned SO much. So did the volunteer I was with. We did a lot of hiking. I hiked around Manono Island. It has 50 families on it and about 4 villages. Apolima has 1 village and 9 families. On Apolima we hiked to the top of one of the mountains (it used to be a volcano and so is a crater shaped island with the harbor in the center, where the village is). There is a solar powered lighthouse on top of one of the mountains and we spent some time up there because it was a little cooler. Karen was working on a few projects out in the islands and I was lucky enough to follow. And the other volunteer we were with, Lafi, is who Bob followed around. Bob and I will be at the same school on Savai'i. We got to swim around and look at coral or lack there of in Manono because Lafi is working on a coral restoration project.

It's been a good last few days. We return to the village on Saturday. This time we will be gone for 3 weeks straight without coming back. So you won't hear from us for awhile. But I plan on putting some pictures on the site tomorrow or the next day, so I will be in touch before then.

Miss ya all!

1 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiking a crater, swimmming amongst coral, so rough for you :)
It's amazing how quickly you pick up a language when your daily interactions force you to. It's great to hear you are doing well with that. Julya not talking just doesn't seem right :)

Can't wait for the pictures!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home